Middle East Technical University - Turkish Armed Forces Modeling and Simulation Research and Development Center (METU-TAF MODSIMMER) is established to facilitate the development of an integrated Joint Operations Simulation System (JOSIMS) in line with 21st Century technologies and standards based on a collaboration agreement among Turkish Armed Forces (TAF), Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM) and Middle East Technical University (METU).
The METU-TAF Modeling and Simulation (MODSIM) joint activity was first initiated in June 1999 as a Research and Development (R&D) laboratory. Later, in May 2001, it took the center status, known as METU-TAF MODSIMMER. Nowadays, the center is planning to expand its activities in order to become a Center of Excellence for Modeling and Simulation Technologies with the support of State Planning Organization.
Missions of center include the followings:
To help conduct basic and applied research and development necessary to realize analytical and simulation systems required for the achievement of JOSIMS, in terms of prototypes and products.
- To facilitate the creation of technical infrastructure for JOSIMS, in terms of standards, procedures and technologies.
- To provide education and training to raise the level of awareness and expertise regarding Military MODSIM applications.
Collaborations with faculties and departments within METU:
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Administrative Science
- Institute of Applied Mathematics
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Foreign Language Education
- Department of Computer Education and Instructional Technology
Collaborations with other universities nationwide:
- Hacettepe University
- Boğaziçi University (Cognitive Science)
- Bilkent University (Cognitive Science)
Collaborations with other universities worldwide:
- Middlesex (WBL)
- Harvard (Bioinformatics)
- MIT (Bioinformatics)
- Northeastern University
- Edinburgh (Cognitive Science)
Informatics Festival (15th year celebrations of the Institute):
- Aravind K. Joshi's keynote address: Some Aspects of Transition from Sentence to Discourse.