Academic and Professional Activities
- Research Projects
- February 2010 - Present, Collaborative Project with Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID) on the design of an assistive technology for hard-of-hearing
- February 2010 – Present, EU FP7 project DIOMEDES
- January 2010 - Present, EU FP7 project MUSCADE
- June 2008 – July 2009, Proof-of-Concept fund Project on quantifying commercial opportunities and potential routes to market for the real-time source localisation and separation system
- October 2008 – May 2009, Investment in Innovation fund project with BAE Systems Ltd.
- August 2006 – June 2009, EU FP6 Network of Excellence VISNET-II
- June 2004 – July 2006, EPSRC Portfolio Project
- Josef R. Kornycky (PhD, 2010), Blind Source Separation for Moving Sound Sources
- Hao Ren (BSc Final Project, 2010), Multiple Speaker Activity Detection
- Grigorios Nikolopoulos (MSc, 2009), Evaluation Of Keyword Spotting Algorithms Enhanced With Blind Source Separation
- Parameswaran Sivatharman (MSc, 2007), Acoustic Echo Cancellation using Adaptive Filters
- Memberships to Professional Organisations
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) member for 8 years
- Audio Engineering Society (AES) member for 6 years
- Turkish Acoustical Society (TAS) member for 4 years
- European Acoustic Association (EAA) member for 4 years
- London Technology Network (LTN) (ICT and Security Special Interest Groups) member for 2 years
- AES Standard Committee member for the following Working Groups: Audio Metadata, Forensic Audio, Digital Library and Archive Systems
Honors, Scholarships and Awards
- Research Grants Held as Principal or Co-Investigator
- Collaboration Fund for “Improving speech intelligibility using acoustic source separation with audio frequency induction-loop systems”, £73549 granted by EPSRC, April 2010 – December 2010.
- Knowledge Transfer Account (KTA) Fund for “Speech Intelligibility Improvement”, £20000 granted by University of Surrey / EPSRC, November 2009 – October 2010.
- Investment in Innovation Fund for “Acoustic Separation for Surveillance”, £40321, granted by BAE Systems Ltd., October 2008 – March 2009.
- Proof of Concept Fund for “Development of Audio Demonstrator” granted by Technology Transfer Office, University of Surrey, £15000, June 2008 – May 2009.
- Other Awards and Studentships
- Research Excellence Award, £1000, granted by THALES Research and Technology (TRT-UK), February 2006.
- PhD studentship, granted by the Queen’s University Belfast, 2001 – 2004.
- Chevening scholarship, granted by the British Council, 2000 – 2001.
- MSc studentship, granted by the Turkish Education Foundation, 2000 – 2001.
Work / Research Experience
- Previous Employment
- 2004-2010, Senior Research Associate, Centre for Vision, Speech and Signal Processing, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK.
- 1999-2000, Part-time Research Assistant, VLSI Design Group, Institute of Science and Technology of Turkey (TUBITAL-BILTEN), Ankara, Turkey.
- Summer 1999, Intern, Institute of Science and Technology of Turkey (“Tubitak-Bilten”), Ankara, Turkey.
- Summer 1998, Intern, ERICSSON Turkey Branch, Ankara, Turkey.