I am the primary investigator of Turkish Discourse Bank (TDB) Project funded by TÜBİTAK, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (2008-2011).
Some of my recent professional activities:
I am in the program committee of ISBCS 2015 (2nd International Symposium on Brain and Cognitive Science)
I am one of the organizers of LAEL (Linguistic Approaches to Endangered Languages: Theory and Description).
I was in the scientific committee of 17th International Conference of Turkish Linguistics (ICTL 2014).
I was in the program committee of ISBCS 2014 (1st International Symposium on Brain Brain and Cognitive Science).
I was in the scientific committee of LREC 2014.
I was in the program committee of ACL 2014.
I was in the scientific committee of Ulusal Türk Dilbilimi Kurultayı 2014/National Turkish Linguistics Conference 2014.
I was in the program committee of Language and Resources area for ACL 2013.
I was one of the organizers of 16th International Conference of Turkish Linguistics (ICTL).
I was in the local organization committee of LREC 2012.
I am the Editor in Chief of Dilbilim Araştırmaları Dergisi/Journal of Linguistics.
I am interested in Turkish discourse, pragmatics, discourse annotation, corpus linguistics and language acquisition.
(Selected publications from 2002 onwards)
- Zeyrek, D. & Acartürk, C. (2014). The distinction between unaccusative and unergative verbs in Turkish: an offline and an eyetracking study of split intransitivity. Cogsci 2014 Proceedings (pp.1832-1837).
- Demirşahin, I. & Zeyrek, D. (2014). Annotating discourse connectives in spoken Turkish. LAW VIII - The 8th Linguistic Annotation Workshop, Dublin, Ireland, August 23-24, 2014 (pp. 105-109).
- Erten, B., Bozşahin, C., Zeyrek, D. (2014). Turkish resources for visual word recognition. LREC 2014 (pp. 2106-2110).
- Zeyrek, D., Demirşahin, I., Sevdik-Çallı, Ayışığı, B., Çakıcı, R. (2013). Turkish Discourse Bank: Porting a discourse annotation style to a morphologically rich language. Dialogue & Discourse. Vol. 4, No. 2: 174-184.
- Demirşahin, I., Öztürel, A., Bozşahin, C., Zeyrek, D. (2013). Applicative structures and immediate discourse in the Turkish Discourse Bank. Proc. of the 7th Linguistic Annotation Workshop & Interoperability with Discourse (pages 122-130). Aug. 8-9 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Zeyrek, D. (2013) The discourse connective yerine 'instead' in Turkish (13th International Pragmatics Conference, 8-13 September, 2013, New Delhi, India).
- Zeyrek, D., Turan Ü. D., Demirşahin I., & Çakıcı R. (2012). Differential properties of three discourse connectives in Turkish: A corpus-based analysis of Fakat, Yoksa, Ayrıca. In A. Benz, M. Stede, & P. Kühnlein (eds.). Constraints in Discourse 3. Representing and inferring discourse structure. (pp. 183-206) John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Demirşahin, Işın, Yalçınkaya İ., & Zeyrek D. (2012). Pair annotation: Adaption of Pair Programming to Corpus Annotation. Proceedings. Association of Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Sixth Linguistic Annotation Workshop (pp. 31-39).
- Göy, E., Zeyrek D., & Otcu B. (2012). Developmental Patterns in Internal Modification Use in Requests: A Quantitative Study on Turkish Learners of English.In Helen Woodfield & Maria Kogetsidis (Eds.). Interlanguage Request Modification (pp. 51-87). John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Şirin, U., Çakıcı R., & Zeyrek D. (2012). METU Turkish Discourse Bank Browser. Istanbul: LREC 2012.
- Zeyrek, D. (2012). Thanking in Turkish: a Corpus-based Analysis. In Leire Luiz Zarobe and Yolanda Luiz Zarobe (Eds.). Speech Acts and Politeness across Languages and Cultures. Speech Acts and Politeness across Languages and Cultures (pp. 27-52). Peter Lang.
- Demirşahin, Işın, Çallı A. B. S., Balaban H. Ö., Çakıcı R., & Zeyrek D. (2012). Turkish Discourse Bank: Ongoing Developments. Proceedings, Workshop on Turkic Languages, Istanbul: LREC 2012. http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lre.
- Turan, Ü. D., & Zeyrek D. (2011). Context, contrast, and the structure of discourse in Turkish. In Anita Fetzer & Etsuko Oishi (Eds.). Context and contexts: Parts meets whole? (pp. 147-170). John Benjamins.
- Zeyrek, D., Demirşahin Işın, Çallı A. B. S., Balaban H. Ö., Yalçınkaya İ., & Turan Ü. D. (2010). The annotation scheme of the Turkish Discourse Bank and an evaluation of inconsistent annotations. Proceedings of the Fourth Linguistic Annotation Workshop (pp. 282–289). 15-16 July 2010, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Aktaş, B., Bozşahin C., & Zeyrek D. (2010). Discourse Relation Configurations in Turkish and an Annotation Environment. ACL 2010. LAW IV. Fourth Linguistic Annotation Workshop.Proceedings of the Workshop (pp. 202-206).15-16 July 2010, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Akgün, M., Çağıltay K., & Zeyrek D. (2010). The effect of apologetic error messages and mood stated on computer users’ self-appraisal of performance. Journal of Pragmatics. 42(9), 2349-2448.
- Acartürk, C., & Zeyrek D. (2010). Unaccusative/Unergative Distinction in Turkish: A Connectionist Approach. The 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics. Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Asian Language Resources.
- Zeyrek, D., Turan Ü. D., & Bozşahin C. (2009). The role of annotation in understanding discourse. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Turkish Linguistics (pp. 303-313). Harrasowitz.
- Zeyrek, D., Turan Ü. D., Bozşahin C., Çakıcı R., Çallı A. B. S., Demirşahin Işın, et al. (2009). Annotating Subordinators in the Turkish Discourse Bank. ACL-IJCNLP, Linguistic Annotation Workshop III (pp. 44–48). August 6-7 2009, Singapore.
- Zeyrek, D. (2009). Türkçe İşaretleme Çalışması [Turkish Corpus Annotation]. 23. Ulusal Dilbilim Kurultayı Bildirileri (pp. 78-88). Mersin Üniversitesi.
- Zeyrek, D., Demirşahin Işın, & Çallı A. B. S. (2008). ODTÜ Metin Düzeyinde İşaretlenmiş Derlem Projesi Tanıtımı [Introducing METU Turkish Discourse Bank Project]. Mersin Üniversitesi Sempozyumu Bildirileri (pp. 544-553). Mersin Üniversitesi.
- Zeyrek, D., & Webber B. (2008). A Discourse Resource for Turkish: Annotating Discourse Connectives in the METU Corpus. The 6th Workshop on Asian Language Resources, The Third International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing, (IJNLP) (pp. 65-71).
- Zeyrek, D., Hatipoğlu Ç., & Atalay N. B. (2008). Türkçe /r/’nin akustik incelenmesi: Bölge ve Cinsiyet Farklılıkları [An acoustic analysis or Turkish /r/]. 21. Ulusal Dilbilim Kurultayı Bildirileri (pp. 10-18).
- Otcu, B., & Zeyrek D. (2008). Development of requests: A study on Turkish Learners of English. In Martin Pütz and JoAnne Neff-van Aertselaer (Eds.). Interlanguage and Cross-Cultural Perspectives (pp. 265-301). Mouton De Gruyter.
- Zeyrek, D. (2006). Dil Edinimi [Language Acquisition]. Ahmet Kocaman (Haz.) Dilbilim Temel Sorunlar Tartışmalar (s. 137-148). Dil Derneği Yay.
- Kapusuz E. & Zeyrek, D. (2002). Incorporating the use of grammatical information into construction-integration model of comprehension. Twelfth Annual Meeting of the Society for Text and Discourse (p. 24)