01 November 2015 – 20 June 2016: Visiting Doctorate Researcher in University of Auckland - School of Psychology (Funded by The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey; TUBİTAK-2214-A, 2015-1, 1059B141500520)
- Project Name: Joint tool making in 5-6 years of children: From cognitive to social factors
- Project Advisors: Prof. Dr. Michael Corballis, Dr. Annette Henderson
30 June 2014 - 11 July 2014 21st International Summer School in Cognitive Science, Bulgaria: Sofia
16 June 2014 - 27 June 2014 Amsterdam Brain and Cognition Summer School 2014: From genes to Cognition, Netherland: Amsterdam.
15 May 2014 Passed Ph.D. qualifying exam
2013 Accepted as Ph.D. student in Cognitive Science, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
2010-2013 M.Sc. student in Cognitive Science, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
2007-2010 B.Sc. student in Sociology, Uludağ University, Bursa, Turkey
2005-2010 B.Sc. student in Psychology, Uludağ University, Bursa, Turkey
- Evolution and development of cognition (ongoing research program)
- Development of tool making ability
- Joint interaction and the evolution of language and tool making
- Relation of action-emotion-cognition relation with in paradigms using words and pictures (an ongoing series of experiments with adults using the Simon task)
- Language comprehension and reading
Assisted with the following courses:
- Introduction to Cognitive Science
- Research Methods and Statistics for Cognitive Science
- Cognition, Perception & Action
- Human Memory
- Visual Cognition
- Language and Cognition
- Language Acquisition
- Cognitive Semantics
- Psychology of Reading
- M.Sc. (in cognitive science and psycholinguistics): From Lexical and Conjunctive Cohesion to Coherence: Reading, Recalling and Comprehending High Cohesive and Low Cohesive Clauses (Advisor: Prof. Dr. Deniz Zeyrek Bozşahin) http://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12616539/index.pdf
- B.Sc. (in experimental psychology and cognitive psychology): Hemispheric Asymmetry in Conscious and Unconscious Perception of Emotionally Negative Content Words (Advisor: Prof. Dr. Hasan Gürkan Tekman)
- Project Assistant (Ongoing Project): An Experimental Investigation of Cognitive, Language and Social Processes in Tool Making and Tool Innovation in Children (Middle East Technical University Scientific Investigation Project, BAP-07-04-2015-001; Project Manager: Assoc. Prof. Annette Hohenberger)
- Project Assistant (Completed project): Effects of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder on the Eye Movement Patterns: An Experimental Investigation with Analysis of eye Movements (Middle East Technical University Scientific Investigation Project, BAP-08-11-2013-003; Project Manager: Assist. Prof. Cengiz Acartürk)
- Project Member (Ongoing project): Textlink: Structuring Discourse in Multilingual Europe (ISCH COST Action IS1312)
- Project Assistant (Completed project): Inter-language Discourse Structure and Enriching Turkish Discourse Bank (Middle East Technical University Scientific Investigation Project, BAP-07-04-2014-005; Project Manager: Prof. Dr. Deniz Zeyrek )
Association for Psychological Science
Cognitive Science Society
Conference papers and poster presentations:
Gonul, G., Hohenberger, A., Henderson, A. & Corballis, M. (Accepted, March/2017). Emergence of tool innovation in individual and dyadic contexts: Comparing Turkish and New Zealand preschool children. International Convention of Psychological Science, Vienna, Austria.
Gonul, G., Hohenberger, A., Henderson, A. & Corballis, M. (Accepted, March/2017). The ontogeny of tool-making in dyadic settings: Cultural, cognitive, and social processes in Turkish and New Zealand preschoolers. Spring School: Social Cognition, Emotion and Joint Action, Bochum, Germany.
Gönül, G., Hohenberger, A. & Takmaz, E. (2016). Tool innovation in 5-6-year-old Turkish pre-school children: The effect of familiarity and salience of affordances. 24th Biennial Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development, Vilnius, Lithuania.
Gönül, G. & Hohenberger, A. (2015). Predicting the tool innovation ability of children: Hierarchical object manipulation and executive functioning. 17th European Conference on Developmental Psychology, Braga, Portugal.
Gönül, G. & Hohenberger, A. (2015). Individual and joint tool making in preschoolers: from cognitive to social processes. 9th Annual Conference on the Evolutionary Behavioral Sciences. Boston, USA.
Gönül, G. & Zeyrek, D. (2014). Discourse connectives and lexical cohesion: An experimental investigation of sentence processing in Turkish. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2281-2287). Quebec City, Canada: Cognitive Science Society.