The Cognitive Science program at Middle East Technical University was established in 1997 as a graduate program within the Informatics Institute. It is the first and the only cognitive science program in Turkey to offer both MS and PhD degrees. (see Graduate Curriculum)
The field spans artificial intelligence, computer science, philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neuroscience, education and anthropology. The courses and the theses are similarly diverse. We are open to applicants with BS, BA, MSc or MA from any field, and offer our students study programs to satisfy core requirements of cognitive science, in modeling of structure, theory of computing, programming, logic and statistics. Some overlapping aspects of cognition are expected to be studied in a thesis (for example linguistics and computing, philosophy and psychology, psychology and computing, etc).
Research areas of the department currently include experiments on child development and language acquisition, cooperative problem solving, visual reasoning and perception, computation and language processes (morphology, syntax, semantics, discourse, communication), fMRI studies and neural basis of cognition.
The department houses or cooperates with the following labs:
- The Baby Lab (dir: Annette Hohenberger) bebem.ii.metu.edu.tr
- Lab for Computational Studies of Language (dir: Cem Bozsahin) www.LcsL.metu.edu.tr
- NEURO Lab (dir: Didem Gokcay) brain.ii.metu.edu.tr
- COGS Lab (currently housing the MEDID project, dir: Deniz Zeyrek) medid.ii.metu.edu.tr
- Human-Computer Interaction Lab (dir: Kursat Cagiltay) ibe.bidb.odtu.edu.tr/node/59
- READing Lab. METU Informatics Reading Research Group www.turead.org.tr
- MINT Lab. METU Informatics Multimodal Interaction Research Group mint.ii.metu.edu.tr